Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Coconut Macaroons - a gluten free dream come true!

I had been baking my "World Famous Coconut Macaroons" for years before I found out about my gluten trigger.  My husband had requested coconut macaroons during one of my also world famous baking marathons.  I poured thru reciepes, made adjustments and came up with this family favorite cookie reciepe.  This is how I make it thru Christmas Cookie Season at my house and has been requested by most anyone who has tried them.  They are chewy (what I miss the most about flour based cookies) and addictive.  Try drizzeling a little chocolate over them or adding dried cherries (or BOTH) and you will have your go-to bindge snack naturally gluten-free!

Coconut Macaroons
14 oz shredded coconut
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1 t vanilla
2 large egg whites @ room temperature
1 t cream tarter
Dash salt
½ c. confectioner’s sugar for dusting

In a large bowl, combine coconut, condensed milk & vanilla.  Using a stand-mixer, whip egg whites until firm peaks form.  Gently stir whites & cream of tartar into the coconut mixture until combined.  Do not over stir.

Using a cookie scooper, drop balls of mixture onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 mins or until flecks of deep brown appear on the very top.  Let cookies cool 1-2 min’s on pan, then transfer to plate of confectioner’s sugar to dust bottom before serving. (this will prevent cookie from sticking to plate)

Store in a sealed container on counter for 3 days, or in freezer for up to one month.

No comments:

Post a Comment