Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Oatmeal - the original gluten free breakfast of champions

Oatmeal. The word always conjured images of gruel & porridge being eaten by orphans in a Dickens novel. I had eaten it maybe once or twice when staying in a hotel as a part of a free breakfast buffet...but NEVER at home! I tried instant once, just after collage, and it was runny and awful. I had a good job. I wasn't an orphan. I ate McDonald's for breakfast! Fast forward 15 years and while at the Micky D's drive thru I saw their newest breakfast product...Hot Oatmeal! My stomach bypassed my brain and took control of my mouth and I ordered it. Ate it and LOVED it! As every good gluten-free follower does, I went online to find the ingredients and after speaking with a customer service agent found out that there is indeed barley in there. Rats. But is was sooooo good! I became determined to duplicate it at home (stomach now taking over eyes and reading as many recipes of oatmeal that I could find) and have with great success. Good-bye toast and cereal. Good Morning Oatmeal!

Oatmeal Cookie Oatmeal

1 c. rolled old fashioned oats (I use Quaker)
1 1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 t vanilla
top off with rasins & diced apple

Cook oatmeal to taste per package directions. While oatmeal is hot, stir in brown sugar until it melts. Stir in vanilla. Top with rasins & apples. Enjoy!


Want an oatmeal treat? Substitute rasins & apples for chocolate chips & mashed bananna. It will knock your socks off!

No comments:

Post a Comment